Tuesday 5 April 2016

Chalk Pastel Drawings, Suffolk Landscape


I did these drawings before I had done any of the paintings. They are based mainly on Ivon Hitchens' work. Using chalk pastel meant I was able to create a variety of textures/marks (to some extent) rather than if I'd used coloured pencil (or something similar). I would say they reflect Hitchens' work in that they leave blank spaces of canvas/paper in between the exaggerated, bright colours, also that the landscapes are constructed using ambiguous shapes and marks. Some of them are easier to work out than others, and some are much simpler than others, but overall I think it's good because not one is the same.
Doing these fast drawings helped me to 'loosen up' my style, and get used to using different colours before moving onto the paintings.

         
                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment