Wednesday 6 April 2016

These are some of the materials I used to smear, blot and drag paint across the canvas (metal and wood) in order to create textures. Looking back, there isn't much variety in my choice of materials, but it came down to what I could find lying around. I could have taken this further, but for the three paintings I used them for it worked out ok. By limiting myself to using pieces of wood/metal, it meant I could be more experimentational with depicting the landscape, and therefore further abstracting them.  Dragging the paint using wood worked quite well because it gave a simple, raw effect, picking up the grain of the canvas.
I think my favourite painting is painting 3 (refer to first post) because it has the right balance of simplicity and texture, whereas painting 1 is potentially too busy, and painting 2 is perhaps too simple. Also, the angles/perspective along with the rough bits on the right in painting 3 give depth to the flatness of the image, which contrast nicely with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment